Thursday, January 14, 2010

Do a Good Turn - Days 13 & 14

Day 13
EVENT - Help feed some missionaries

Every so often the women of my church congregation host a luncheon for 30-50 missionaries. Before I started working full time I would cook part of the food and help serve and clean up. Now that's not an option. Rather than leaving the whole thing to the women who are available during the day, I offered to make two dozen brownies. That was something I could bake ahead of time and take over to one of the coordinators the day before. I even went the extra mile and made chocolate\blonde swirled brownies and frosted them, too.

Obviously, I didn't get to see the reaction, but I've never met a missionary that didn't get excited about homemade brownies.

A side bonus to this one - there were a few extra browines left over for my family. They were pretty happy about that.

COST - About $8 for browine ingredients
EFFORT - More than many of the other things I've done this month. I had to plan ahead to have the ingredients on hand and to have the time to bake, cool, frost, and deliver them.
TIME - An hour and a half give or take, not counting the time to cool the brownies.
WOULD I DO IT AGAIN? - Sure, why not?

Day 14 -
EVENT- Red Cross contribution

Although, I hadn't planned on giving another charitable contribution so soon, how could I live with myself if I didn't make some effort in behalf of the people of Haiti? I only wish I had the means to do more.

This one was ridiculouslly easy. The American Red Cross has very wisely gone all high tech. They have a set up now where if you text the word 'Haiti' to 90999 you can donate $10 to their relief fund. The charge will be added to your next phone bill. It's that simple.

This is a perfect example of little things adding up. Last I heard, which was at about 6:30 PST on Jan. 14, their contributions for Haitian relief had topped four million dollars. Go Red Cross!

COST - $10
EFFORT - Basically zero
TIME - Almost none. It has taken me way longer to write these three short paragraphs about it than it did to make the donation.
WOULD I DO IT AGAIN? - Yes, and more if I could.

No comments: